Wednesday, September 07, 2005

from the 'bird man' to the Christians............

What's with Jordis? I still love her though.
Suzie's rockin' out "never tear us apart"
enough comentary on 'rock star INXS' though................


After being warmed by the birdman and his wife's hot cereal, tea and hospitality, the former graciously offered to drive us to the elusive Hope, which we 'palefacely' accepted. After hammer treated myself and the birdman to a meal, we parted ways at the local laundry mat, where I was left to pick up the pieces of the failed attempt. Prior to leaving, my friend hammer, did his best to assist me in case of future mis-adventures, by giving me his handlebar compass/bell, first-aid kit, and necklace to attach to my Swiss army knife. All of which are with me to this day.

So now I was alone, slightly delirious from lack of sleep, at the hope laundry map. After an hour, or two, of laying on the bench, falling in an out of sleep, my laundry was finished. It was around 3pm, I loaded up the bike and began to wander aimlessly around Hope as a light rain continued to fall, not letting my forget paleface. This was the closest I came, on the whole trip, to getting a hotel for the night. Infact I went and checked some prices, going on a tip from a kid at the info centre, I checked out the cheapest hotel in town, which has been operated by the same women for, something like 60 or 70 years. She was a very sweet lady and it was only about 45 bucks, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. What precedent would I be setting? On this journey I didn't want to be a tourist, I was supposed to be a traveler. But the thought of rough camping(basically just going out of town and camping anywhere) was painful as I was exhausted and it was still raining. After a period of aimless wandering, the 'big guy' apparently intervened as I was lead to local camp ground into the arms of 150 Christian cyclists! Who fed, clothed and sheltered me. Not really, but they did share their meal, which was prepared in one of the two semi-trucks which was supporting them. They were generally pretty wide-eyed and I shared a lot of wide stares with many of them (you gotta love religious people especially when there in the mist of their religious fervor, combined with a day of cycling, most of them were just floating around the camp ground).

a Christian lady in her fifties during a brief conversation we had as she was coming out from her, after cycle, shower and I was walking to my tent.

"you really love it(cycling), don't you...."

me

"yeah"

we then proceeded to stare into one another eyes for an, in retrospect, unusually long period of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home