Alison............
I first met Alison at 'the lighthouse', an expat watering hole in Kaohsiung. I was told on numerous occasions that I was to meet this crazy girl who was just about to leave on cycling tour of south east Asia, but we always seemed to miss each other. The night I finally did meet her was the evening of her going away party. It was that evening that I first became aware of how amazing this girl is. As is customary, when I meet someone whom I find to be intriguing(male or female), I often pose to them direct questions, such as: what is beauty?, what is greatest thing we as people can do?, what is the meaning of life? etc. Honestly, I can't remember exactly what the question I asked was and I don't remember the exact words she used to answer it, but what I will never forget is the intensity, sincerity and strength of her reply, it left me, and I'm not using this as a cliche, breathless.
After that evening Alison and I kept in contact periodically via email. I arrived in Vancouver a week before I was planning to commence cycling. By the end of week she had decided to ride with me across western Canada. Though I didn't really expect that, it felt very natural, as it turned out to be.
Alison is a very aware, intelligent and passionate person, but it's her child-like enthusiasm, which she exudes most while cycling which is most special to me. I really can't describe it in words, but felt it on the countless occasions when our eyes would meet and share a smile and a laugh.
She is now studying for her Master's degree at the University of Victoria. I have confidence she will excel at this and whatever else she does. I wish her the best and know she will always be a special person in my life:)
After that evening Alison and I kept in contact periodically via email. I arrived in Vancouver a week before I was planning to commence cycling. By the end of week she had decided to ride with me across western Canada. Though I didn't really expect that, it felt very natural, as it turned out to be.
Alison is a very aware, intelligent and passionate person, but it's her child-like enthusiasm, which she exudes most while cycling which is most special to me. I really can't describe it in words, but felt it on the countless occasions when our eyes would meet and share a smile and a laugh.
She is now studying for her Master's degree at the University of Victoria. I have confidence she will excel at this and whatever else she does. I wish her the best and know she will always be a special person in my life:)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home