Reflections on Europe.....
I accidentally published the last enter unfinished so.......Strangely enough none of the shops served hot coffee so we had to use the 'we can't understand what you are trying to tell us but we are in need of coffee so what can be done' approach until the friendly women finally found it easier to just make us coffee from her own kitchen. I was schooled in this technique by a very peculiar old man whom I had met on the streets of Gent, Belgium. He described it to me using a young Scandinavian fellow as an example. This 'happy boy' with a 'David bowie haircut', when in need of lodgings would simply approach a house, usually in a 'Toni'(a new word I learned from Ed meaning wealthy) neighborhood, knock on the door and when they answer he would state that he was from Sweden(maybe)and that he is traveling and is in need of a place to sleep and if it's alright with them he would like to stay at their house. So the homeowners would generally be taken aback a bit and do some humming and halhing(sp?), the example I was given:
man of the house: "well ahhh, I don't...ahh, humm. ahhh we don't really have a place set up for guest. Sorry."
DB: "Do you know of anyone else who would be able to help me?"
man of the house (yells to his wife): "Honey this young lad from Sweden is apparently in need of a place to stay, do we know anyone who could help him out?
Wife excitedly(possibly due the hint of spontaneity she detected in her husbands voice immediately reminded her of the idealistic, passionate young man she once knew)responds: Oh! Well what about Sue and Wilber. They have that cute little garden residence they have been restoring. I'm sure they'd love the company......
So DB ends up spending the night with Sue and Wilbur. Moral of the story....I'm not sure.
man of the house: "well ahhh, I don't...ahh, humm. ahhh we don't really have a place set up for guest. Sorry."
DB: "Do you know of anyone else who would be able to help me?"
man of the house (yells to his wife): "Honey this young lad from Sweden is apparently in need of a place to stay, do we know anyone who could help him out?
Wife excitedly(possibly due the hint of spontaneity she detected in her husbands voice immediately reminded her of the idealistic, passionate young man she once knew)responds: Oh! Well what about Sue and Wilber. They have that cute little garden residence they have been restoring. I'm sure they'd love the company......
So DB ends up spending the night with Sue and Wilbur. Moral of the story....I'm not sure.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home